Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Design Manager to join our Regional team to work in Langley.
- To provide design management support to Civil and Scape projects bids and also support live projects where required.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Design Manager you will:
- Manage the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget and time constraints. The design should deliver:
- Safety in construction and use;
- Quality within affordable parameters;
- Ease of maintenance;
- Innovation to meet customer goals;
- Deliver design inputs for feasibility Reports for Scape projects;
- Work with bid team to support bid submissions;
- Manage CDM compliance;
- Manage and ensure effective briefing of the Design Team. This includes, where necessary, the management of any 3rd parties or novated design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specifications, and where necessary, checking the competence and resources of any incumbent design teams or 3rd parties;
- Manage designers’ appointments;
- Provide advice and guidance on the “buildability” of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages;
- Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities where required – such as town planning, building control and services e.g. gas and water;
- Support the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream;
- Lead the development and management of the design deliverables programme:
- Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables;
- Lead gate reviews activities to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate to include appropriate communication to Bid Managers and other team members as required;
- Lead the co-ordination and production of design data, tender deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the project and contractual requirements and report progress against the design deliverables programme;
- Lead the design process to meet the employers’ requirements;
- Provide BIM management during the bid stage ensuring the supply chain is fully aware of BIM requirements
- Consider the application of Lean Construction techniques in order to save money, reduce waste and optimise construction;
- Ensure that learning and best practice is captured from the tender and project with the aim of sharing it across the business stream and the UKCS business;
- Proactively contribute to the Risk and Value Management process;
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of the CSUK Sustainability 2020 road-map;
- Ensure compliance with BB design management processes.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- This role requires an individual with proven experience in delivering design services within a Work Winning environment and successfully implementing design strategies as well as relevant project experience. Much of the works will be Civil biased (highways, bridges etc) and a proven record in successfully delivery of similar works would be required;
- Leadership skills in a matrix organisation are required to deliver design services in a timely manner with a customer and business sector specific focus. Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure. The individual will know ‘what good looks like’ in tender submissions and would have hands on experience of delivering work-winning bids in a timely manner and also experience of delivering design in production;
- Good working knowledge of BIM is required. The individual will have experience within the most current forms of procurement. Working knowledge of NEC contract is required;
- Relevant Professional membership with an appropriate institute, e.g.ICE aligned to the work stream is recommended. A valid CSCS card is a requirement;
- Excellent IT Skills relevant to the Business Stream are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential. Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material, applicable to the Business Stream;
- The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the relevant Business Stream;
- Numeracy and bid/report writing is a requirement.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Job Reference: UK13753
28 days ago - source