Our EMEA Sr. Concept Design Manager role is one of the most interesting and unique in the industry, with a broad mandate to push the design and innovation envelope. You must be a highly creative and effective professional with broad brand, retail and/or hospitality design experience and a demonstrated ability to create and execute innovative concepts and user experiences.
This leader must have a passion for all things design and have a proven track record developing top-shelf design talent and building world-class multi-disciplinary teams. You must be able to effectively collaborate with peers in the EMEA and Global Concept and Store design organizations, real estate, category, construction, operations, marketing and other key departments to execute to the highest standards. The leader must be able to effectively apply their creative leadership skills as well as their organizational and presentation skills.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Builds strong creative studio culture, together with other design leaders, that encourages open discourse, collaboration and critical thinking. Has a passion for all things design and innovation, that includes an understanding of current trends and trend forecasting in design, furniture and fashion, storytelling.
- Able to leverage on-the-boards experience to provide focused creative direction and feedback that consistently drives and elevates design. Effectively addresses gaps and troubleshoots when needed.
- Leads teams to develop thoughtful and highly creative design strategies and retail programs that uphold Starbucks high quality brand standards
- Able to effectively lead design studio to implement company programs in a highly fluid and fast-moving business environment. Deep understanding of process, timelines and budgets.
- Closely works with store design to identify needs for programs, efficiencies, innovation and story-telling needs
- Promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and collaboration with a focus on elevating design while achieving business results.
- Continuously sets a high bar for design talent, clearly articulates expectations to teams and provides effective and timely direction and feedback on performance and project work.
- Identifies and clearly communicates key responsibilities, best practices and expectations to ensure the success of the immediate team of direct reports.
- Challenges and inspires the team and provides timely coaching, feedback, leadership support and developmental opportunities in order to achieve design and business results. Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Constantly builds bench and pipeline of diverse, high caliber talent (both internally and externally).
- Ensures the design studio:
- Develops effective design programs and innovations that meet functional, brand and business needs.
- Collaborates with broader store development team to meet internal project timelines, annual new store and renovation project counts and sales weeks goals.
- Create and communicate store design programs in order to reduce design timelines, design costs and drive innovation at retail
- Negotiate contracts and manage work efforts of the external architect and design consultants to ensure they deliver high quality construction and design documents that comply with architectural and quality standards, building codes and health and safety regulations, on time and on budget.
- In collaboration with the other members of the Design Leadership Team EMEA, develop annual operating plan, budget, and quarterly forecast updates. Monitor and report on studio design performance, progress toward annual goals, and variances in store costs and store count forecasts relative to strategic plans for the business unit.
Key Contacts – Internal
- Director design and concepts
- Senior Design Managers
- Design Managers
- Design Support Manager
- Business planning leads
- Construction Management leads
- Marketing and Category leads
- Supply Chain leads
- Operations leads
- Real estate leads
Key Contacts – External
- Geo licensing, Channel Licensing and Local Licensing leaders
- Outside resourcing partners
- Seattle and global counterparts
- Design and architectural firms
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Demonstrated design leadership of multi-disciplinary teams (6+ people) in an architecture, design office, or international brand environment.
- Hiring and managing outside consultants and designers/architects
- Building, leading and mentoring cross-functional teams
- Design of high-end brand, retail, restaurant and hospitality environments preferred
- General business experience in a large, matrixed organization
- Management of complex and/or large-scale concept design projects
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to foster teamwork among diverse groups and disciplines.
- Ability to plan and manage schedules for multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to elevate design in a fluid and fast-moving business environment.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the role and is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible responsibilities, tasks, and duties that may be required. Management reserves the right to amend the responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder as dictated by business requirements.
11 days ago - source