Salary Range: £16,905 - £17,148 pro-rata, per annum (plus enhancements including Sunday working and Bank Holiday)
Work location: Swanwick Lodge, Southampton, commutable from Winchester, Eastleigh, Portsmouth
Hours per week: 19
Working Day: Mon – 8am to 1pm, Tue – 4.30pm to 9.30pm, Wed – 4.30pm to 9.30pm, Thu – 8am to 12pm.
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 10 February 2019
For an informal conversation about the role call our Swanwick Lodge team on 01489 581913
We will be holding an open day on the 08 February 2019, to give you the opportunity to meet staff, take a tour of the facilities and find out more about the role. To book a place on the open day please register here.
Are you passionate about helping Hampshire’s most vulnerable young people?
We are looking for dedicated and compassionate staff to join our workforce at Swanwick Lodge, a secure children’s home in the heart of Hampshire. Swanwick Lodge accommodates up to 16 young people aged 11-17 who have been placed in a secure residential setting for their own safety and wellbeing. We provide full care, education and healthcare for young people in line with the ‘secure stairs’ model of care.
You will provide a courteous, front-line service to staff and members of the public, personally and over the telephone. You will help ensure the secure movement of staff, visitors and young people around the unit via the security systems. You will also maintain accurate records and provide general administrative assistance when required.
No professional qualifications are required; you will be provided with the necessary training and support required for the role, as well as opportunities to develop both personal and professional skills.
You can either apply using the application form below or simply by sending us your CV. Please do not hesitate to call 01489 581913 for an informal chat about the role prior to applying.
What does a typical day look like?
As a Receptionist at Swanwick Lodge, your main responsibilities will include:
- Providing a courteous front-line service to visitors, colleagues, and professionals from other agencies and organisations.
- Using tact and diplomacy to ensure queries are dealt with effectively, referring them to the correct person where appropriate.
- Ensuring that customers are treated with respect and in accordance with HCC’s equalities policy.
- Maintaining a high standard of customer service.
- Providing general administrative support to staff.
- Ensuring information in reception is up-to-date; maintaining accurate records of personnel on site, the personnel paging system and the distribution and return of keys.
- Maintaining the register of Young People.
- Ensuring the movement of all personnel though the building is authorised, safe and secure.
- Observing CCTV camera screens periodically and reporting any unauthorised movements to the duty officer.
- Assessing the urgency of a situation e.g. using the ‘emergency panic’ button.
- Maintain online diary and booking system.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- RSA II Typing Skills, or equivalent
- Diplomatic and sensitive approach to callers and visitors, some who may be irate or distressed
- Experience of reception environment and/or customer service role
- Well-developed communication skills and analytical skills to assess and prioritise level of urgency.
- Be confident and assertive in an appropriate manner
- Ability to remain calm under pressure whilst multi-tasking.
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- A good level of ability on IT systems such as Outlook, Microsoft Word and general IT applications.
What do you need from me?
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- GCSEs English and Maths Grade A – C, or equivalent.
- Good IT knowledge of systems including Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Diplomatic and sensitive approach to callers, some who may be irate or distressed.
- Experience of a reception environment and/or customer service role.
- Well-developed communication and analytical skills to assess and prioritise levels of urgency.
- The ability to be confident and assertive in an appropriate manner, whilst remaining calm under pressure and prioritising situations whilst multi-tasking.
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team and understand the need for contribution and flexibility.
- Ability to recognise signs of stress in self and others and respond appropriately.
- Ability to use initiative to solve day-to-day problems as they arise within given parameters.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of the operation of security processes and procedures.
- Switchboard knowledge.
- Demonstrate local and HCC knowledge which ensures callers are directed towards the most appropriate form of help.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures.
What are the working conditions?
- Use of Display Screen Equipment (DSE)
- Potential verbal abuse and/or physical aggression from residents
- Lone working
- Manual handling of items and people over 15 kg on less than a daily basis
This post is subject to a Criminal Records Check. As such please note, we will take up references prior to interview.
Hampshire County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. We expect all employees, workers and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment.
Corporate Equalities Employment Policy: In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to any for achieving equality of opportunity in its employment practices. All sections of the population will have equal access to jobs. No applicant or employee will receive less favourable treatment because of their gender, disability, age, ethnic or national origin, marital status, creed, sexuality, trade union activity or responsibility for dependants unless a Genuine Occupational Qualification (GOQ) applies. In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to which would have a disproportionately adverse effect on any one group.
No longer accepting applications.