We are looking for an Operative to join our highways team in Somerset. Our Highways team keep communities moving. Join them to help construct and maintain roads with Somerset Highways in a role that’s ideal for anyone that enjoys manual outdoor work and is willing to pitch in and support winter and emergency maintenance out of hours activities on a standby rota.
- Undertake out of hours winter maintenance and emergency works
- Work on Highways furniture, equipment and similar fixtures(e.g. Erection, maintenance, fixing and/or dismantling)
- Work to precise levels and requirements in construction work in a number of tasks (e.g. Drain laying, trench timbering, manhole concreting, kerb laying, fencing, walling, flag and block paving, signing works) to be a competent in at least 3 of these tasks and maintain all other disciplines as required to cover the highways network
- Drive all of the plant and equipment necessary for the required disciplines for maintenance and drainage on Highways and Network
- Take responsibility for vehicles/plant/materials in your charge
Where appropriate provide direction/supervision of the work to less experienced operatives
We're looking for:
- A commitment to Health and Safety
- New Roads and Street Works (NRSWA) Operative Accreditation
- LGV Class C driving license OR demonstrate capability to support putting candidate through LGV Class C training during their probationary period
- Good communication skills and basic literacy and numeracy
- Ability to undertake a high level of manual work and work outdoors in all weathers
- Customer care skills (i.e. dealing with the public)
- Able to demonstrate an ability to handle awkward situations tactfully
- Clean driving License
Our infrastructure services team delivers projects that maintain and enhance the built environment. Part of that is our work to operate, maintain and improve large parts of the UK road network. Whether you’re involved in frontline operational work, design, project management or office-based services, every day you’ll be helping to improve the lives of millions of people.
A career with us means you’ll have the freedom to develop your skills and leave your mark on the communities in which we work. Our competitive benefits package will help to enhance your life outside work, too.
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA (who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA