Los Angeles, California
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment and changing the way more than 148 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries and we’re excited to bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers around the globe. It’s an exciting time to work at Netflix.
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is looking for a new member to join the team: a Music Clearance Specialist who shares our passion for music to help support our expanding slate of Netflix Original content. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates (https://jobs.netflix.com/culture). A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
The Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix’s global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role is based in our Los Angeles office and will report to one of our Music Licensing Managers.
As a seasoned music clearance expert, you love music and everything about the music clearance process for film, series and documentaries. You know everyone in the industry: the record companies, the publishers, the indies, music supervisors, music libraries, production houses, music editors, artists, songwriters and managers. You know exactly who to call to expedite a negotiation. You think having multiple quotes for the same song makes complete sense, you’re used to clearing compositions with as many as 10 rights holders, and you’re not fazed by split territory deals. You know what action to take when a licensor redlines or stamps your quotes. You know who to contact for that obscure track from the 1970s and, if necessary, you’re ready to suggest alternative tracks if it doesn’t clear, even if you’re not in a “creative” role in the traditional sense. You are the first to caution against a “fill in the blank” or “cut and paste” approach to music clearances; in fact, you understand each deal, like each production, is highly-nuanced and there is no detail too small or insignificant, however, you’re still focused on the big picture. You’re not intimidated by a high volume of clearances and you’re able to combine pace with a high level of precision and professionalism. The music production process for original content is second nature to you - from script to payment of invoices and submission of cue sheets - you’ve mastered that and feel comfortable working independently throughout the entire process.
Beyond the tactics you also understand the importance of relationships and communication. You understand the dynamics between showrunners, executive producers, line producers, producers, finance, production, post production, credits, labor, marketing, publicity, content localization, business affairs and legal affairs and know when and how to engage and align the appropriate teams when a music clearance issue calls. You are comfortable speaking with all stakeholders to find solutions to make the seemingly unsolvable, solvable. You may produce locally, but you think globally.
This is a unique opportunity to expand and grow beyond your immediate area of expertise, and to collaborate with colleagues in our domestic and international offices who share your passion for music, copyright and the entertainment industry. An opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
- Onboarding and overseeing music supervisors and music clearance personnel working across our films, series and documentaries, serving as Netflix’s point of contact for clearance matters.
- Administering music clearances for our films, series and documentaries from start to finish, including identifying music and lyrics requiring clearance, researching rights holders, preparing, reviewing and securing quotes from labels, publishers and music libraries, tracking rights to ensure consistency across Netflix’s productions, monitoring music budgets and clearance reports, making public domain and fair use determinations, reviewing song credits (if applicable), ensuring accurate legal delivery of music clearance documentation, and license review and negotiation (where required).
- Advising on music licensing budgets.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships throughout the music industry.
- Participating in other projects specific to Netflix’s music needs.
- The successful candidate will have a BA/BS degree and 10+ years of music clearance experience in the music department at a major production, film/television studio, television network, publisher, label, or law firm.
- Fluency in Spanish or another language is highly preferred.
- Experience providing in-house support in a film or television production company is highly preferred.
- Highly collaborative, with clear and concise communication skills (written and verbal)
- Exceptional organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment.
- Ability to pivot quickly and fluidly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
- Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise.
- Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment
Share this listing:
7 days ago - source