As a Men's Sportswear Apparel Designer you will work closely with the product creation team to design an apparel line for assigned styles. Specific focus on Men’s Sportswear. You will initiate and interpret new product concepts to meet the needs of our consumers, resulting in sales and growth for the company. You will present design concepts including fabrication, style definition and features for review by the Design and Merchandising teams. In addition you manage design projects and work with team members to ensure that deadlines are met to reach company goals.
- Possess thorough knowledge of apparel design and development; merchandising procedures, product materials, and production techniques
- Strong Adobe/Microsoft software suite as well as the talent and ability to perform free hand drawings
- Work very collaboratively with all cross functional partners in the product creation sphere
- Must have strong presentation skills and negotiate well with many different personality types
- Able to build compelling and influential visuals to sell ideas and create understanding of product intent
- Continuously provides innovative, best-in-class product design solutions to the entire product creation team for review and potential implementation
- Maintains goal of continuous product innovation and improvement
- Actively develops and grows knowledge of all garment construction techniques including the latest industry developments
- Eagerly seeks out new ideas and information regarding assigned product type.
- Uses market research, material research, industry experience, knowledge of the Columbia consumer, and brand positioning to provide a honed product feedback filter across the product division
- Works with category Senior Designer to help create category direction assets, including fabric, trend and design concepts
- Works closely with Sourcing to create styles that hit target costs
- Emphasize cost effective garment constructions while maintaining desired product attributes and performance
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent experience specializing in apparel design, fabric arts, or related field. Associate’s degree with 2-3 years related work experience acceptable in lieu of bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 years garment design/development experience in the apparel industry.
- Experience with outdoor industry and apparel category highly preferred.
9 days ago - source