- Providing advisory services to managers in HR functional areas, including position management, position classification, employee motivation and moral, pay and leave administration, performance management, and recruitment and placement;
- Conducting pre-employment interviews, explaining Federal employment benefits to applicants, and conducting post-placement counseling when required;
- Reviewing and processing all types of automated personnel actions, to include a wide variety of appointments, pay treatments, regulatory authorities;
- Performing the full range of classification and position management-related duties for a complex, multi-mission organization, such as a regional office, Center, or major field installation containing a variety of different types of occupations and positions;
- Counseling employees on sensitive or serious problems related to health or life insurance coverage; and
- Conducting recruitment outreach efforts by representing USAID at job fairs and at meetings of targeted community groups.
Job family (Series)
0201 Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Specialists
- Specialists, Human Resources
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship is required.
- Relevant experience (see Qualifications below).
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- Males born after 12/31/1959, must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer is required.
- You will be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Note: Your answers to the assessment questionnaire must be supported in your resume.
GS-09: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. Examples of qualifying specialized experience at the next lower level for this position include: (a) knowledge of a wide range of Human Resource Management (HRM) concepts, laws, policies, practices, analytical and diagnostic methods and techniques sufficient to solve a wide range of complex problems and issues; (b) knowledge of the HR processes for rating and ranking applications submitted through the hiring mechanisms established by the Agency; and (c) ability to apply accepted criteria, principles, and standard methods to resolve a conventional HR-related issues and problems.
GS-11: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. Examples of qualifying specialized experience at the next lower level for this position include: (a) knowledge of a wide range of Human Resource Management (HRM) concepts, laws, policies, practices, analytical and diagnostic methods and techniques sufficient to solve a wide range of complex problems and issues; (b) knowledge of the HR processes for rating and ranking applications submitted through the hiring mechanisms established by the Agency; and (c) ability to apply accepted criteria, principles, and standard methods to resolve a conventional HR-related issues and problems.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, relevant to the duties of the position to be filled, including volunteer experience.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates will be referred to the selecting official if they are found well qualified. Well-qualified means an eligible employee who possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities which clearly exceed the minimum requirements of the position. A well-qualified employee must meet the qualification and eligibility requirements of the position, including any medical qualifications, suitability, and minimum education and experience requirements, meet all selective factors (where applicable); meet quality ranking factors and are assigned to the Silver Category or higher Category; be physically qualified with reasonable accommodation to perform the essential duties of the position; meet any special qualifying U.S. OPM-approved conditions; AND be able to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry without additional training.
A well-qualified candidate will not necessarily meet the definition of highly or best qualified when evaluated against other candidates who apply for a particular position. In the absence of selective and quality ranking factors, selecting officials will document the job-related reason(s) for qualification determinations.
This position does not have a positive education requirement. Therefore, no Transcripts are required .
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
These are Testing Designated Positions (TDP’s) under the Agency’s approved Drug Free Work Place Program. All applicants selected for this position will be subject to random drug testing once they begin working for the Agency.
Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer is required.
Moving and relocation expenses are not authorized.
M ythbuster on Federal Hiring Policies:
EEO Policy: EEO Policy Statement .
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement .
Veterans' Information: Veterans Information .
Telework: https://www.telework.gov/ .
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/ .
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual’s employment experience will be used only to determine the person’s qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual’s personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your application package to ensure you meet the job and eligibility requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/ No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are “ Gold,” “Silver,” and “Bronze.” However, your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the “ Gold ” category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview. How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans’ preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed. Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category ( Gold ) depending on the position and grade level of the job. ( You must provide proof of disability rating with a letter from the Veteran's Administration showing disability percentage rating).
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies:
Human Resources Management
Administration and Management
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Resume showing relevant experience.
- Veterans' documentation, if requesting consideration under any Veterans' hiring eligibilities ( veterans’ preference and Veterans Recruitment Appointment ).
- If seeking eligibility based on any other special hiring authority (e.g. disabled veteran, Schedule A, special hiring programs ).
- ICTAP Eligibles: Must submit a copy of the appropriate documentation such as a reduction-in-force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a direct reassign or transfer of function to another commuting area. You MUST also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record of at least "fully successful" (Level III) or equivalent, along with your application/resume package.
- If this position requires proof of higher education, you must submit a copy of your transcript (unofficial transcript) or a list of courses that includes the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. Please refer to http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp for more information. Please be advised that an official transcript will be required if you are selected for the position.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Working for USAID offers comprehensive benefits including paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life and health insurance, and the Federal Employees Retirement System. You can explore the benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/ . USAID's headquarters is in downtown Washington, D.C., at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center on 14th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., on the Federal Triangle Metro Blue, Silver, and Orange Lines. The office is within walking distance of restaurants, shops, museums, and Washington Monument. A physical fitness facility and food court are on site. You will be eligible for telework in accordance with Agency policy.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You are encouraged to read the entire announcement before you submit your application package. Your application may not receive full consideration if you do not follow the instructions as outlined.
This position is located in the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center , 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC., in the Office of Human Capital and Talent Management, Foreign Service Center, Foreign Service Staffing (HCTM/FSC/FSS) .
FSS is responsible for recruitment, utilization and management of FS Personnel worldwide to ensure that the Agency maintains a competent core workforce. FSS is also responsible for pre-employment processing, staffing (regular FS and Senior Leadership Group assignments), FS Tenuring and Commissioning, long-term training, and providing advice on classification for all overseas missions.
As a Human Resources Specialist , your responsibilities will include the following:
12 - Full performance level of this position is the GS-12 grade level.
6 days ago - source