- Knowledge of Interior Plant Maintenance: Watering according to the types of plants; Cleaning; Recognizing the need for plant rotation according to conditions; Safe gardening and handling practices when workin gin close proximity to Art.
- Mixes correct types of quantities of chemicals as directed for spraying floral and foliage plants for insects and/or diseases.
- Work around priceless objects of art, with the safety of the as as a primary concern.
- Fertilizing and watering floral and foliage plants.
- Transplanting Trees and Shrubs: A. Proper digging techniques; B. Proper methods of ball and burlapping; C. Proper skating techniques.
- Have the ability to lift 80-100 pounds; ability to walk for a period of 4-8 hours.
- The incumbent performs snow removal and assists with trash removal as needed.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
- All required documents must be submitted by 11:59PM EST on closing date.
- Required medical examination documents
Physical requirements: Any selected candidate must show evidence of meeting the physical requirements of the position. This may require the selected candidate to obtain a medial examination from a licensed medical practitioner. The selected individual should have the ability to lift 80-100 pounds and walk for a period of 4-8 hours. Incumbent is expected to perform work in all types of weather conditions, including rain, snow, wind, high temperatures (above 90° F), and low temperature below 32° F).
The National Gallery of Art provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates must meet the Occupational Qualification requirements for WG-5003-6 which includes possession of the following job elements:
1. Ability to provide production support service (SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT)
2. Technical practices in gardening
3. Use of measuring instruments
4. Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
5. Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment
6. Knowledge of materials used in gardening work
7. Dexterity and safety
Candidates must ensure that their submitted USAJOBS résumés thoroughly demonstrate their possession of these job elements. If their résumés do not include specific evidence of these job elements, they will be found ineligible for these positions.
The National Gallery of Art fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- AN EXTERNAL SELECTED CANDIDATE MUST BE FINGERPRINTED AND RECEIVE A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, RESULTING IN A SATISFACTORY SUITABILITY DETERMINATION BEFORE BEING HIRED FOR THIS POSITION.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register . If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
EEO Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection procedures. The quality categories are defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified".
Based on your responses to the job-specific self-assessment questions, eligible candidates are placed for selection consideration into one of three pre-defined quality categories as described below:
Best Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications for the position, candidates must fully demonstrate proficiency in all major aspects of the position.
Well Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, candidates must demonstrate proficiency in some, but not all of the major aspects of the position.
Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, applicants must demonstrate a basic level of knowledge, skill and ability of the position.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each pre-defined quality category. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent (i.e., CPS and CP) must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit.
Some documents may not apply to all applicants. If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Your resume should list all work experience (paid and unpaid); you should list the full name and address of the each employer.
- Your experience listing should show the start and end dates (include month, day, and year); you must also list the average number of hours per week that you worked.
- Your resume should also include any education and training you have completed (list the program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- For more information about what to include in your resume, please view this USAJOBS Resume Tutorial video on YouTube.
- It is important that your resume is complete and thorough. If any of the above information is not included in your resume, we may not be able to fully credit you for your experience.
Current and former Federal employees: Most recent SF-50 (Standard Form 50 - Notice of Personnel Action).
To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show the following. If you do not submit an appropriate SF-50, we cannot verify your status eligibility!
- Full position title;
- appointment type;
- occupational series;
- pay plan, grade, and step;
- tenure code; and
- service computation date (SCD).
Veterans: Veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency which will allow you to apply under the (Veterans Opportunity to Work) VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 .
Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits is required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position is located in the Division of Horticultural Services (AHS) under the Office of the Administrator. AHS maintains 10 acres of exterior landscape, the 6-acre Sculpture Garden, 4 interior gardens, 9 greenhouses, 4 coldframes, and 3 specialty gardens of the National Gallery of Art (NGA). The incumbent is a gardener with multitask assignment with primary emphasis on special event set-up, interior maintenance, operation of landscape equipment, and exterior landscape maintenance.
The incumbent is a gardener with a multitask assignment with primary emphasis on endowment plant maintenance; special event set-up, interior maintenance: and greenhouse maintenance.
10 - Promotion potential to the WG-10
6 days ago - source