What is Payments at Airbnb?
Payments is key for any healthy marketplace, and is central to our product at Airbnb. The Payments team at Airbnb provides the financial engine to facilitate payments for all products on Airbnb. We’re a fast-growing team that has a 50+ billion dollar global footprint: We have as much volume as Venmo, 3x more currencies than PayPal, and 7x more countries supported than Stripe.
Our co-founder, Brian Chesky, created Airbnb Payments after he had a tough time paying his host when using Airbnb at SXSW. Before, to book someone’s home, you had to convert currency, find ATMs, deal with withdrawal limits, carry large amounts of cash, or negotiate in an unfamiliar language. Thanks to Airbnb Payments, no longer.
In Payments you’ll have the opportunity to build out our platform that touches all of Airbnb, from our core Homes business to our newer Experiences and Plus businesses. We’re responsible for the whole stack from deeper services processing payments to building out the user experiences. You’ll have the opportunity to work on highly impactful problems, as you balance moving fast with the rigor that payments demands.
We’re looking for talented engineers who are interested in building our Payments Platform that provides for our existing and future businesses. We’re open to experienced Payments engineers as well as engineers who don’t have experience but are interested in learning more. Come join us if you want to learn the business and skills that working on payments offers!
Meet the people, learn about the domain, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
What is a Frontend Software Engineer on Payments at Airbnb?
- You’ll build customer-facing and internal-facing user interfaces for the Airbnb Payments Platform.
- You’ll help us be excellent at mobile web -- both in design and performance.
- You care about building world-class frontends, which combine usability, accessibility, elegance, performance, and maintainability.
- You care about our developer users. We deliver high-quality components which developers can use to build the best marketplaces in the industry.
- You care about our hosts. We build tools these entrepreneurs use to run and expand their businesses.
- You care about our guests. We build tools to make payments easy and trustworthy.
- 2+ years industry experience
- We use React / Redux / ES6 / Typescript /Java. You should know how to build products using a modern web development framework.
- You are comfortable with all of the fundamental web development technologies (ES6+, HTML, CSS, etc.)
- You understand browsers and the DOM and can solve cross-browser compatibility issues, optimize client-side performance, and build responsive designs
- You’ve used modern web development tooling to build sites: e.g. CSS preprocessors, bundlers, testing frameworks
- You’re a great teammate, participating in design and code reviews, pairing, and mentoring to make the team better
Additional responsibilities:_ _
- Work with design, product, data science, and research partners to shape the products you’ve built for customers
- Evolve and improve your product: evaluate, evolve, and optimize your work to deliver the best user experiences
- Constantly have an eye towards making front-end development on your team and Airbnb better, identifying and communicating best practices
- Drive the future of Frontend products in the industry and create world-class performance for all of Airbnb’s products
- Build efficient and reusable front-end systems and abstractions
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
React, TypeScript, Java, and Engineering
10 days ago - source