In a nutshell:
IDEO Tokyo is in search of talented Design Interns who want to be involved in exciting work across a variety of projects. We are looking for individuals with a strong portfolio, proven design skills, and a passion for design. The ideal Design Intern has a background in interaction, product, or environments design and is capable of making digital and/or physical prototypes. A Design Intern will work collaboratively, creatively, and flexibly within interdisciplinary teams together with IDEO Tokyo’s clients and partners.
Design Internships at IDEO Tokyo are typically 12 weeks long. Start dates are flexible.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
At IDEO, we create disproportionate impact through design. Our goal is to create work that resonates as deeply desirable, feasible, and viable. Being a designer at IDEO means you do a lot of listening, observing, brainstorming, and iterating with a group of people with backgrounds very different than yours. This diversity of thought and approach results in breakthrough ideas that lead to innovative outcomes. Candidates should demonstrate an ability to work across a range of projects. Prototyping and production skills are essential, as well as a passion for design, and a point of view about your work.
Why IDEO Tokyo?
IDEO Tokyo’s mission is to help enable change in Japan through design and creativity. As part of a small studio that is growing, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, excellent communication skills, and the ability to flourish in a flexible environment of creativity and innovation.
Once here you will:
- Collaborate with a diverse collective of talented people from multidisciplinary backgrounds to create holistic solutions to complex challenges
- Get exposure to and involvement with all aspects of the design process: user research, brainstorming, concept development, prototyping, production, and design stewardship
- Build empathy with users and translate research data into powerful, concise design solutions
- Help design physical and/or digital prototypes and not be afraid of getting your hands dirty
- Explore and define design opportunities and communicate the essence of these ideas through powerful storytelling
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO values people who are optimistic, collaborative, who take ownership, embrace ambiguity, talk less and do more, learn from failure, and make others successful.
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in both the design process and your career.
Design Internships at IDEO Tokyo are full-time and equitably compensated.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Pillpack - Growing an Online Pharmacy, from Startup to Sale
- Rise Science - A Game-Changing Approach to Sleep for Athletes
- Intercontinental Hotels Group - Designing a Modern Work Experience for Business Travelers
- Lufthansa - Elevating Business Class Travel with Personal Connection
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Strong visualization and prototyping skills, from early concept sketches to final deliverables
- Ability to work across a range of projects in many industries and sectors
- Excellent storytelling, narrative, and communication skills especially around your craft
- Comfortable working within interdisciplinary teams
- Self-directed toward excellent work outcomes
- Contemporary software skills relevant to your design discipline
- 2-3 years of work experience in applicable areas of design
- Strong English verbal and written skills; Japanese language skills a plus
Please answer the following questions in addition to your cover letter:
What is one product or service in the world that you would like to improve? Why, and how would you improve it?
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter (with your answer to the pop quiz), and your portfolio. Your portfolio should demonstrate your specific role and contributions for each project. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project.
11 days ago - source